Pilot Training Courses
Flying at Inverness Airport
Inverness Airport is one of the best places in the UK to learn to fly. Here are just a few reasons why we think so:
- A dedicated team of professional Instructors and aircraft engineers.
- Full Air Traffic Control coverage, including Tower and Radar services, with professional, friendly, and a helpful team of Air Traffic Controllers. You will learn and become confident in full and correct radio communications.
- Whilst Inverness is a major regional airport, the airspace surrounding us is quiet, allowing us a great deal of freedom. This is the best of all scenarios.
- The weather in-and-around Inverness enjoys a micro-climate which allows flight training to continue throughout the year.
- We are situated within the most stunning scenery in the world. Within an hour of Inverness you can also be Island-hopping in the Orkneys or the Inner Hebrides.
- As a pilot you have a choice of locations to land away, including grass and beach runways on the mainland and Islands.
- We are open seven days a week, with friendly and welcoming staff. We boast a smart clubhouse with direct airside access, briefing rooms, lounge, kitchen and toilet facilities, as well as a free carpark for our customers.
- With excellent transport links and daily jet flights from around the UK, Highland Aviation is fast becoming the Flying School of choice for those hoping to escape the busy skies of the South.
Initial Pilot Courses
Our initial pilot courses are for people who do not hold a pilot's licence. They are the first step in becoming a pilot. Each course is designed to give student pilots everything they need to be sucessful in gaining their first licence.
The Light Aircraft Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is more suited to those wishing to fly for recreation. A holder of this licence may fly an aircraft up to two tonnes with no more than three passengers. With additional training this licence may be converted to a PPL(A).
The Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is more suited to those wishing to continue on to further ratings and privileges. It is the first step towards a commercial licence and a career in aviation.
The Private Pilot's Licence (Gyroplanes) is the first step for all those wishing to fly these amazing aircraft.
Advanced Pilot Courses
The courses below are for existing pilots wishing to improve their skills, or further their qualifications or privileges. Some courses have prerequisite flight experience requirements.
EASA LAPL to PPL Upgrade
For those wishing to take their aviation qualifications to the next level, converting to the PPL(A) is a must.
EASA Night Rating
The Night Rating training allows a pilot to fly during the hours of official night. This rating can be added to either the PPL or LAPL.
UK IMC / IR(R)
The Instrument Rating (Restricted) allows the PPL pilot to fly in conditions that would not be suitable for VFR-only qualified pilots. It is not available to LAPL holders.
Mountain Flying Course
Our Mountain Flying Course gives existing pilots an appreciation of the techniques and safety considerations when flying through mountainous terrain. Due to our Highland location, all our Flight Instructors are intimately familiar and well practiced with these techniques.
Beach Landing Course
Our Beach Landing Course offers the unique opportunity for existing pilots to fly to, and land at, Barra Airport, the only beach-based airfield in the world that accepts commercial traffic.
Soft/Short Field Operations Courses
Soft/Short Field Operations Courses are designed for those who have only ever had the luxury of long tarmac runways.
The following courses are for those wishing to become Flight Instructors. From our experience, there is no more rewarding way to enjoy a career in aviation than to pass that knowledge on to our student pilots.
The Class Rating Instructor (Aeroplanes) Course will enable a PPL holder with more than 300 hours to instruct for the issue, revalidation or renewal of a class or type rating for non-complex non-high performance single-pilot aeroplanes.
Our Flight Instructor (Aeroplanes) course will enable the PPL or CPL holder to safely instruct others for their initial LAPL or PPL qualifications.
Our Flight Instructor (Gyroplanes) course will enable the holder to safely instruct others for their initial PPL(G) qualification.
EASA Night Training Endorsement
The Night Training Endorsement enables instructors to teach the Night Rating to LAPL and PPL holders.